Re: Sound wheezy/KDE -- testing the microphone

On 2011-11-15, Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@operamail.com> wrote:
> Hello! I am having trouble with a microphone plugged into my
> soundcard. According to Kmix, the Playback Devices are set to about
> 55%, the Capture Devices are set to 100% and both playback and capture
> are shown as not muted.

I have my microphone working (audio google talk calls with my brother in
the States). I forgot how I did it, though.  I use alsamixer. I don't
think playback has anything to do with it, however; I mean, you don't
want the sound of the microphone to playback through the speakers, do
you?  I have all that muted.

You have to "turn on" 'Capture', then select the microphone as your
input source.  Maybe you should try alsamixer.  Press F4 when you get in
there; that brings up the capture controls exclusively.

I played around with alsamixer to get it right.

Good luck.