Re: Sound wheezy/KDE -- testing the microphone

Curt <curty@free.fr> writes:

> On 2011-11-16, Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@operamail.com> wrote:
>> alsamixer with F4 gives Capture all right, but it is set to 100% and
>> still the mic does not work.
>
> Well, if you don't see any input sources to select, then you're cooked,
> because you must Capture something or other.  How would "it" know to
> record your microphone rather than the line-in on your sound card, for
> instance?  I have three choices as an input source, that I toggle with
> the arrows on my keyboard: Front Mic (which is the one I use, on the
> front of my machine, next to the headphone jack) Line (which must
> correspond to the line-in) and Mic (which is the other microphone jack
> in the back of my machine.)
>
> I don't know what you're seeing in alsamixer, but if all you're seeing is
> "Capture", that ain't gonna get it, 'cause you gotta capture something,
> as I say.
>
> Tell us what you see beside 'Capture' in alsamixer when you press F4.
A vertical bar in a blue frame. The bar is red at the top, white in the
middle and green at the bottom.

At the bottom of the frame are `L' on the left-hand side and `R' on the
right-hand side. Underneath those letters are firstly the word
CAPTURE and underneath that the characters `100<>100'. Finally, on the
bottom line are the characters `<Capture>'.

The up-down arrow keys can change the `100<>100' to lower numbers. The
left-right arrow keys do nothing.
--
Dr S Mountbatten