Openoffice.org - has it been replaced by LibreOffice?

I tried using LibreOffice Writer to print a test letter which used
two accented characters. What was printed was garbled rubbish. No
accented letters and other letters replaced with `a's.

I should like to try OpenOffice.org, but its packages all say they
have been repackaged as LibreOffice. So what has happened to
OpenOffice.org? Who has decided that we've all got to use LibreOffice?
--
Dr S Mountbatten