Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

On Lu, 14 nov 11, 18:00:34, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:

> I set up a similar machine, with 256MB ram, recently and when I tried
> LXDE and used iceweasel with more than one tab, I remember it seemed to
> be swapping to disk (some? a lot? can't remember, but enough to make
> me change the de/wm).  So I replaced lxde with icewm which seemed
> better, though I haven't really tested things thoroughly.  Didn't you
> have any swapping issues with LXDE and regular web browsing?  (If not,
> are there any tricks you might suggest?)

I said LXDE is usable not Iceweasel :p

In squeeze Chromium has better support for newer technologies and
*might* be lighter on resources. Best if you can just avoid the
heavy-weight browsers and stick to something like Midori, Kazehakase,
etc.

For office use avoid OpenOffice.org and try to stick with Abiword and
Gnumeric. For e-mail Claws Mail and Sylpheed are excelent.

Hope this helps,
Andrei