Gnome meltdown observed from the sidelines

Since I am on Squeeze, I have not yet had the (dis)pleasure of encountering Gnome 3.  But I am watching the ruckus closely.  If I weren't on dialup, I might even install Wheezy and give it a spin. But then that might be a little too much excitement for me!!  :)  (I think all you you alpha testers are bit masochistic!!)

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I won't have to make a decision for a few years but I would like to know the answer to a few questions that would be dealbreakers for me. FYI, I don't have a mobile phone or tablet - strictly desktop - so the new paradigm is very foreign and appears to me as a step backward ie. the dumbing down of a computing environment.

Do you think it will be possible to eliminate the 3d effects in Gnome by the time it gets to Wheezy stable? My hardware could handle it but my aesthetic could not.  I like flat and simple.

Will I be able to get the panel back on the bottom and have desktop icons?

I'm pretty sure I could transition to XFCE if necessary.