Re: Into: Coming over to Debian from Ubuntu

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:39:07 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Closed, yes.
>>>
>>> A brick, no.
>>>
>>> Limited and restrictive are relative notions...
>>
>> It's all relative... But to my eyes, Apple devices are just beautiful
>> bricks, plenty of traps with an invisible and "costly" price (and I'm
>> not speaking about $). I cannot feel confortable with a company policy
>> that prevents the movements of the users for their products in the way
>> Apple does.
>
> From a FOSS religious perspective, Apple products could be considered
> bricks but from the practical perspective of 99% of computer users who
> want to connect to networks, share out files, surf the web, receive and
> send email, play A/V files locally or through their browsers, read and
> edit word/spreadsheet/PDF/presentation documents, Apple, Linux, and
> Windows are just as suited to their needs and requirements.

I agree and get your point, that is, I understand what you mean.

And I consider myself a very open person in this regard (let's say I'm
more close/inclined to what the BSD philosophy represents than GPL), I'm
using MS Windows and linux at work and I'm okay recommending closed
source applications when there isn't a good replacement coming from the
open source world but man... Apple lives in another planet, sorry, in
another galaxy. I've always said that Apple is even worse than Microsoft
itself and I can understand that people is fine and love their products
but that makes no change on my posititon :-)

I consider Apple products as the opposite I like to see my gadgets: they
are technology pieces and not mere household appliances. Of course, I'm
not the target user for Apple's marketing team.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón