Re: Into: Coming over to Debian from Ubuntu

Tom H wrote:
On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:47:33 -0500, Douglas Saylor wrote:

(...)

*Meanwhile* iOS is *so* polished, so easy, so intuitive&  yes*very*
pretty.
Apple products are so closed, so limited and so restricted that renders
you hardware into a beatiful brick.

Well... absolutely true about iOS.

Not so true about Macintosh and OS X -- Macs are essentially BSD underneath. My PowerBook is littered with all kinds of unix tools - installed via a mix of Fink (apt for macintosh) and MacPorts (BSD Ports for mac). And then there are various Linux and Windows VMs I have running under Parallels (which could as easily be VMware or Virtual Box or probably Xen).

Now, I do worry that the iOS/closed mindset is starting to intrude into the Mac space (witness the Macintosh App Store that's made it's way into the latest versions of OS X). Still keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to migrate my laptop to Linux (personal opinion: Unix is for servers and development, for Word Processing, Slide Presentations, email, web browsing - Mac is a lot cleaner - particularly what with all the complaints about Gnome3!).

Miles Fidelman