GNOME 3 - Performance slowed down rapidly

If I e.g. click a link in an email, there's still the notification
working, when I read the link that already was opened with Iceweasel and
it's still working when I already closed the website, "Opening xy" still
is running.

Subjectively it feels like even closing a Windows slowed down.

I'm using a 2.1 GHz dual-core 64-bit with 4 GB RAM + 3D acceleration.

plugin-containe is eating 5% - 30% of the CPU resources, when everything
should be idle. It's the first time I get an issue regarding to the
performance caused by the DE or WM.

Before I set up the fallback mode panel everything was ok when I run
top.

"Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
- Niklaus Emil Wirth

Just a quote, in the past I claimed this myself and the community stoned
me. Thanks to the one who today or yesterday posted a link to a Wiki
about Niklaus Emil Wirth.

- Ralf