Re: Gnome3 and external screen

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 07:59:36PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> You may be referring to the gnome-shell, not gnome3 :-P

I did not know what 'gnome-shell' was. After checking 'wajig show
gnome-shell' I see it replaces the old gnome-panel.  So yes, you are
probably correct.

> > When I configure my display areas and select the external screen to be
> > above my internal one, I am unable to move windows to the external
> > screen.
> >
> > When the setup is left/right/below this is not a problem.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to convince Gnome3 to make the first choice setup
> > workable?
>
> Hum... it works here. Kind of.
>
> I have attached an external display to my netbook and then setup a top/
> bottom layout for the screens by dragging the external monitor at the
> bottom, and well, I have the desired layout.

I cannot move a window past the top part of the 'gnome-shell'.

> I have an intel card/intel driver and both screen resolutions are
> detected okay (1024x600 for the netbook's that is 10.1" and 1280x1024 for
> the external one that is a 17" display).

I also have an intel graphical card with 1280x800 and 1280x1024 external
screen.

I decided that I don't have time to figure out the new way of working
with gnome3 and am now using XFCE4.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee,
      go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone:
      if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother."
                          Matthew 18:15