Re: Whats missing from Gnome3

Richard wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Instead of trying to use alien to install rpms directly perhaps you
> > might say exactly what you are wanting to accomplish and the brain
> > trust on the mailing list might have a native alternative suggestion?
>
> I thought I had Bob, its the either 4 or 5 Gnome3 extensions which
> allow further functions to be added to the Gnome3 desktop.

I guess I just had not followed the thought of the message well enough
to know exactly what you were asking for.  It wasn't clear to me.

> AND it definitely worth complaining about as they are in existence,
> the other distros using Gnome3 have them so why not make them
> available in debian.

As Camaleón writes those appear to be available in 3.2.

They are going to be available in the released version.  But you are
running the version that is still be developed to be the release
version.

> They are :-
> gnome-shell-extension-common
> gnome-shell-extension-cpu-temp
> gnome-shell-extension-remove-accessibility-icon
> gnome-shell-extension-alternative-tab
> gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu
> gnome-shell-extension-auto-move-windows
> gnome-shell-extensions-common.

Since 3.2 is available in experimental then perhaps the best thing
would be to install 3.2 from experimental to get these additional
features.

It doesn't seem like it can be any worse for you than it is now.
Might as well be, In for a penny, In for a pound.

> Its a bit like buying a car, automobile, with the wheels being sold as
> extras.
> I don't consider it much to ask for that when the new gnome shell is
> added that the extensions are added as well.

I don't disagree with you there.  I think it is really terrible of
GNOME to have made this redeployment.  It would have been fine in my
mind if they had created a new direction and had left the old GNOME
available.  Then people could evaluate the new paradigms and
transitioned from one to the other as they decided to change.  But it
is really bad that GNOME burned the bridge down first before having
created the new one.  That forced people to transition and to
transition before GNOME was ready for it.

However Unstable and Testing are by design are not released products.
They are the development area for the release.  Which means that
anyone running Testing cannot have the same expectations as those
running Stable.  During big transitions such as this it is going to
have some turbulence.

I am not directing this at your but at the mailing list at large.

People who can't handle that should be running Stable instead instead
of Testing or Unstable.  And I know there are a lot of people who will
come back and say, "But Stable isn't new enough."  Well, Testing right
now during the GNOME redeployment is what "New" looks like.  There is
going to be some thrash during big transitions.  You can't have it
both ways.  At least not with the current release strategy.  Perhaps
in the future continuously-usable-testing then maybe.

Bob