Re: Into: Coming over to Debian from Ubuntu

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:37:11 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:47:33 -0500, Douglas Saylor wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> Apple products are so closed, so limited and so restricted that
>>> renders you hardware into a beatiful brick.
>
> Well... absolutely true about iOS.

My complain was not aimed to the technology nor the hardware itself but
about the company policy. Apple is the one to blame here and not its
products which are usually of high quality and very well engineered.

> Not so true about Macintosh and OS X -- Macs are essentially BSD
> underneath.  My PowerBook is littered with all kinds of unix tools -
> installed via a mix of Fink (apt for macintosh) and MacPorts (BSD Ports
> for mac).  And then there are various Linux and Windows VMs I have
> running under Parallels (which could as easily be VMware or Virtual Box
> or probably Xen).

The core can be BSD-alike powered but ask youself what can you do with a
BSD-alike system that features a closed source license. Nothing but
having a good time and prepare you wallet for the next thingy Apple will
sold you as the next revolutionary piece of hardware out there.

That's the tramp. You don't own your computer but Apple. I'm stumped to
see people with a Mac going to the Apple store every time a small problem
arise instead of solving the issue by themselves. Wow, so you get a
"oops, something went worng" message and you have to send your computer
to the technical service? What a business...

> Now, I do worry that the iOS/closed mindset is starting to intrude into
> the Mac space (witness the Macintosh App Store that's made it's way into
> the latest versions of OS X).  Still keeping my fingers crossed that I
> won't have to migrate my laptop to Linux (personal opinion: Unix is for
> servers and development, for Word Processing, Slide Presentations,
> email, web browsing - Mac is a lot cleaner - particularly what with all
> the complaints about Gnome3!).

I've also read bad reviewes for the new MacOS Lion system. My feeling is
that Apple will discontinue sooner or later its server business (and
possibly the desktop...) and will concentrate the forces into the mobile
market (iPhone/Pad/Pod and notebooks) that is where they are doing money.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón