Re: nfs howto - are debian docs dated?

On 12/11/11 11:56, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
> I've only responded to this one question just yet because I'm working
> from your other input to get this done... thanks.

The NFS.org page is the most useful - see the HowTos

>> That's not a lot of examples - what did you want to use if for?
>
> Exchange of files between debian desktop and solaris zfs servers.

Nested?
ACLs?

> So it will be both server and client on both ends.
>
> The main usage, where the heaviest interplay will be, is going to be
> the solaris server offering its zfs filesystems as work areas for
> other lan machines.

That's easy with BSD - I've minimal recent experience at fixing problems
with nfs4.1 and zfs (Solaris) - meaning it's always taken about 2
minutes to setup. Maybe I just got lucky, maybe that and because I never
wasted my time with unfs3 ;-)

Solaris
With ACLs see this:-
http://www.bfccomputing.com/2011/03/15/creating-a-permission-free-share-with-zfs-acls-and-nfsv4/
For a more succinct explanation than I'd provide.

> The debian host as server will be offering 2 main directories to the
> lan that contain stuff needed on all lan machines at times.

Debian
With ACLs you'll want libnfsidmap2, nfs-common, and nfs-kernel-server.
They should get pulled in when you install nfs-kernel-server.

>From memory you run Wheezy, so you'll avoid the problems with unfs3.

Cheers

More refs:-
http://mail.opensolaris.org/