Re: nfs howto - are debian docs dated?

On 11/11/11 23:40, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Dan Ritter <dsr@tao.merseine.nu> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 01:34:47PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> On one site (the one cited above) I noticed said something about
>>> having to change kernels.  I'm currently running wheezy with
>>> 3.0.0-686-pae. Will that need to be changed?

<snipped>
> Egad, the NFS4 sites I've hit show nfs4 to be ridiculously complicated

Huh?
I'm assuming you mean - it has *considerably* more features (4.1) than
v3, *and if* you decide to use them it's noticeably more involved :-)

> and all the examples (I've only gone through three of the many so far)
> assume both ends are always going to be Debian hosts, with all the
> same pkgs available etc.

That's not a lot of examples - what did you want to use if for?

> Are there other advantages to nfs4 beyond fine grained access control?

It's faster. (usually about 20-25% at a minimum)
It has stateful capabilities.

> In my case that will not even be a factor since its just me on both
> ends.

It's default with some distributions (Fedora) - if you don't want the
additional capabilities don't configure them. If you don't know it's
v4.1 it's pretty much the same thing to configure as v3.
eg.s:-
http://jkossen.nl/2009/05/12/simple-nfsv4-configuration-for-debian-and-ubuntu.html
http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/nfs4-server-debian-ubuntu-linux/

NOTE: BSD configuration is basically the same - the only major changes
from v3 is if you want to take advantage of the extra capabilities of v4.1.

For your purposes you only need to know it's faster ;-)

> I've found some information comparing the two but no real down to
> earth commentary telling what is better about nfs4 by some experienced
> person told from a users perspective.

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=219433
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Comparison_of_NFS_vs._others