Re: nfs howto - are debian docs dated?

Dan Ritter <dsr@tao.merseine.nu> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 01:34:47PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> On one site (the one cited above) I noticed said something about
>> having to change kernels.  I'm currently running wheezy with
>> 3.0.0-686-pae. Will that need to be changed?
>
> No.
>
> aptitude install nfs-kernel-server
>
> Now you have the required tools to use the in-kernel NFS server.
> It can do classic (NFS3) or new (NFS4) service.
>
> Doing NFS3 exports is done very simply, and is documented in
> many places. You write an /etc/exports file that says things
> like this:
>
> /home        192.168.0.1(rw) 192.168.0.2(rw) 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
>
> which gives read/write access to two machines and allows another
> network to read anything but not write to it.
>
> Doing NFS4 exports is a little harder, but you can get better
> access-control. Google for "nfs4 exports debian" to find a
> howto.

Egad, the NFS4 sites I've hit show nfs4 to be ridiculously complicated
and all the examples (I've only gone through three of the many so far)
assume both ends are always going to be Debian hosts, with all the
same pkgs available etc.

Are there other advantages to nfs4 beyond fine grained access control?
In my case that will not even be a factor since its just me on both
ends.

I've found some information comparing the two but no real down to
earth commentary telling what is better about nfs4 by some experienced
person told from a users perspective.