Re: Adobe flash is dead

On 10/11/11 13:38, Weaver wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:10:31 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 19:51 +0000, Andrew Wood wrote:
>>> Why do Linux distros consider it desirable to install Gnash by
>>> default? I understand the desire to have a free flash player but
>>> Gnash is a very poor implementation and I think it tarnishes
>>> Linux's image rather than enhances it.
>>
>> Why bother with non-free software when we're talking about a
>> technology that's dying like BSD these days?
>>

> Ummm, can't wait till gnash is setting the pace, rather than being an
> implementation generation or two behind, which is all I see holding it
> up,

Which would be nice, but kind of impossible. Gnash is a Ffflash player -
so all it can do is (try) and implement the latest Ffflash features.
Originally SmartSketch there are now a number of "free" Ffflash creation
tools - but Adobe, through it's "branding" pretty much controls the
market. Sadly.`
I suspect that won't change until employers find all the new graphic
artists insist on using HTML5, or a free Flash alternative. And that's
not likely until schools, uni's etc start basing the training around
those. That and consumers avoiding Ffflash infested sites, forcing
companies to change the site content.

> but BSD is generating programmes that Debian would do well to look
> at:
>
> http://www.bsdcertification.org/

1. Debian certification programmes a la LPI would (I believe) be a very
good thing. Though difficult to incorporate into the Debian community
and Social contract.

2. You're obviously unaware of Debian-kFreeBSD:-
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
All the simplicity and stability of FreeBSD with the power of apt.

Sadly few know of it - and many still parrot Matt Damon's jest about BSD
dying (because he was resigning). Definitely worth a look (we use it
extensively):-
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=debian_kfreebsd_h210&num=1

<snipped>

> Regards,