Re: Adobe flash is dead

Why do Linux distros consider it desirable to install Gnash by default? I understand the desire to have a free flash player but Gnash is a very poor implementation and I think it tarnishes Linux's image rather than enhances it.

Its buggy, a lot of content it cant display, or displays improperly. You often end up with ads jammed over the main content of the page because Gnash has drawn them in totally the wrong place, it causes browsers to crash and last night I was puzzled as to why my CPU fan was going full throttle after upgrading wheezy. A quick look at the process list revealed Gnash had been re-installed and was thrashing all 4 CPU cores just displaying a web ad.

A newcomer to Linux would think this was the best the platform could offer, when in reality theyre far better off installing the 'real' Adobe player. OK it may be closed source but closed source isnt all evil and hats off to Adobe for actually making a Linux version which is pretty damn good if you give it a chance.

Id be happy to see Gnash dead.

And what do you use for flashplayer?

Hugo