Re: bootlogd

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:00:55 +0100, Bob Brewer wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> It works here but I edited this line:
>>
>> BOOTLOGD_OPTS="-r -c -l /bootlog"
>
> I've now changed mine to be the same as yours
>

>> After restarting the system the file is indeed placed at the "/"
>> instead "/var/log/boot".
>
> If I now run /etc/init.d/bootlogd start It does indeed write an empty
> log file /bootlog and on shutting down writes some 'stopping' entries
> into the file.

So the service can be started fine once you're in. How weird :-?

>> If this is not working for you then you may be facing a different issue
>> unrelated to having a separated "/var" partition :-?
>>

> On rebooting I see a console message "Starting bootlogger - bootlog
> failed' and does not not add any boot data to the bootlog file.

Mmm, what could be preventing bootlogd from starting at booting? As per
the init file, it only requires "mountdevsubfs" facility to be available.

And there is something that worries me... By looking at the init script
it can be read:

# Because bootlogd is broken on some systems, we take the special measure
# of requiring it to be enabled by setting an environment variable.

I wonder what characteristics present those systems where bootlogd is
known to be "broken" :-?

> As you say the problem seems to be unrelated to /var on a different
> partition. The logger seems to be basically working but failing to start
> up for some reason.

Yes, and that sounds even weirder, I mean, that can be launched on a
running system but fails when loading. I've also found another bug report
(which is older than the one you pointed before) that basically comes to
say the same as you:

And I'm afraid I'm now out of ideas. Let's see if someone else can give
you additional advice on how to debug this problem :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón