Re: Getting sound working

 On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:38:17 -0500 "Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com"
 suggested this:

>I've purposely not used sound in my linux setups for yrs... never had
>much need of sound... and only really needed it for my video editing
>work which is done with Adobe tools and therefore all on windows.
>
>Anyway, cutting to the chase... like I said its been literally yrs
>since I even thought about sound on linux... now I'm kind of lost as
>to how to test, configure debug, etc.
>
>Trying to play a wav file with mplayer, it seems to play the file just
>fine except I hear nothing.
>
>My audio hardware is the hugely common, at least on older PCs, AC'97.
>And I seem to have a herd of modules running that appear sound
>related.  (See the output of lspci and lsmod below).
>
>Maybe its just a question of turning something on or setting volume
>somewhere?
>-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
>
>lspci |grep audio
>
>  00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
>    82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
>-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
>
>And I seem to have a whole herd of modules that are apparently sound
>related.
>
>lsmod |grep snd
>
>  snd_intel8x0           22382  5
>  snd_ac97_codec         84197  1 snd_intel8x0
>  ac97_bus               12462  1 snd_ac97_codec
>  snd_pcm                53315  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
>  snd_seq                39539  0
>  snd_timer              22027  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
>  snd_seq_device         12985  1 snd_seq
>  snd                    38562  15
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_seq, soundcore
> 12992  1 snd snd_page_alloc         12899  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Florian Kulzer helped me to debug this a couple of years ago. Very
comprehensive and excellent run through, but this might be all you need:

amixer set Master unmute

amixer set PCM unmute

Hope that helps
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes
from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. ---Henry Ward
Beecher