Re: laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

On Thu 27 Oct 2011 at 14:45:38 -0700, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:

> I am trying to learn how to setup wireless on one of my old Dell C610
> laptops with an Intel IPW2200 wireless card using command line only. I
> have a fresh install of 7.0 Wheezy (3.0), all updated, and the ipw
> firmware loaded. According to the Debian Reference Manual I need to
> configure wpa_supplicant as a next step. When I try to invoke it I get a
> message saying the ipw driver isn't supported, although the man page for
> wpa_supplicant states that ipw _is_ supported...(for now I am running all
> these as root):

The man page also says:

   For a list of supported driver backends that may be used with the
   -D option on your system, refer to the help output of wpa_supplicant
   (wpa_supplicant -h).

You should find the README.Debian very useful.