Re: Formatting external HDD

Em 19-10-2011 18:29, Karl Vogel escreveu:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:54:32 +0100, Lisi<lisi.reisz@gmail.com>  said:
L>  I have just acquired a one T HDD for use as an external HDD.  I now need
L>  to decide how to partition it. [...] Would it be feasible to have one
L>  large partition on the drive, and then use directories rather than
L>  partitions for the different back-ups?

    Yes.  I've been using 1.5Tb Seagate drives for a backup server, and they
    work fine with one large or two smaller partitions:

      Filesystem  1M-blocks     Inodes  Mounted
       /dev/sda2    1372701  362774528   /data1
       /dev/sdb6     699594   11216896   /data2
       /dev/sdb7     699601   11216896   /data3

    I used "mkfs.ext3 -J size=400 -i 65536 -m 2" when creating the sdb
    filesystems, which gave me an extra 27Gb by creating one inode per 64K
    and only reserving 2% for overflow.  I get better performance by using
    the deadline scheduler and setting vm.swappiness = 10.

L>  Could I do this with cp (obviously), dd, rsync, Clonezilla, or even
L>  something I don't know about yet?

    Sure, cp for the initial copy and then rsync for changes.

L>  And what filing system? [...] My box is ill, possibly unto death.

    In that case, now's not the time to experiment.  Use something familiar,
    and play around *after* your stuff is safely backed up.

ext4 is backwards compatible with ext3.

I can assure you that making more than one primary partition is NOT a good idea. If you feel like making more than one partition, make sure you make them all logic partitions. If you use it for backups I don't see a reason to use LVM. My guess is that the best idea would be make only one partition, but since hard disks are always fail-imminent, maybe making more than one logic partition could help you whenever you need to recover lost files.