Re: Formatting external HDD

>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:54:32 +0100, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> said:

L> I have just acquired a one T HDD for use as an external HDD.  I now need
L> to decide how to partition it. [...] Would it be feasible to have one
L> large partition on the drive, and then use directories rather than
L> partitions for the different back-ups?

   Yes.  I've been using 1.5Tb Seagate drives for a backup server, and they
   work fine with one large or two smaller partitions:

     Filesystem  1M-blocks     Inodes  Mounted
      /dev/sda2    1372701  362774528   /data1
      /dev/sdb6     699594   11216896   /data2
      /dev/sdb7     699601   11216896   /data3

   I used "mkfs.ext3 -J size=400 -i 65536 -m 2" when creating the sdb
   filesystems, which gave me an extra 27Gb by creating one inode per 64K
   and only reserving 2% for overflow.  I get better performance by using
   the deadline scheduler and setting vm.swappiness = 10.

L> Could I do this with cp (obviously), dd, rsync, Clonezilla, or even
L> something I don't know about yet?

   Sure, cp for the initial copy and then rsync for changes.

L> And what filing system? [...] My box is ill, possibly unto death.

   In that case, now's not the time to experiment.  Use something familiar,
   and play around *after* your stuff is safely backed up.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Salesmen welcome.  Dog food is expensive.            --seen on a fence