Re: Gnome 3 crash with iceweasel and chromium

On 18/10/11 15:54, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:51:33 +0100, José Silva wrote:

I smoothly upgraded my sid install to Gnome 3

GNOME3 ! gnome-shell :-)

I have gnome3 installed but (still) not gnome-shell, they are different
things (gnome3 is the whole environment and gnome-shell is the UI).

Right, sorry. Thank you for clearing.

a few days ago, when it became available, and now I'm experiencing
crashes (goes to login screen) with several web pages. Sometimes it
repeats with the specific page, sometimes not. Happens both with
iceweasel and chromium, didn't try with epiphany.

So gnome-shell only crashes when you use a browser?

Yes, up to now.

Looked on the net a this list but couldn't find nothing recent like
this.

Anybody experiencing the same?

I can't be of any heelp here but you can review the bugs:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-shell;dist=unstable

Any fixes?

I would try with new user and see what happens.

I didn't try that. What I tried was switch the theme back to default.
Fact is, it didn't happen again for one day and, before, it happened several times a day. I've been waiting for a crash, that didn't happen, to reply to your message. However, this doesn't explain why it happened with chromium too. Could be an upgrade that fixed it.

Where in the logs or how can I get some information of what's happening?

For this one, I'd look at "~/.xession-errors", as usual.

A lot of stuff there but the most interesting is:
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
(firefox-bin:3722): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no name
(firefox-bin:3722): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no directories

The later 3 lines happen with most applications besides iceweasel: nautilus, gedit, ... Anyway, I guess this is the log for today's activity and doesn't cover the crashes.

Regards,
jss