Re: Gnome 3 crash with iceweasel and chromium

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:01:59 +0100, José Silva wrote:

> On 18/10/11 15:54, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> a few days ago, when it became available, and now I'm experiencing
>>> crashes (goes to login screen) with several web pages. Sometimes it
>>> repeats with the specific page, sometimes not. Happens both with
>>> iceweasel and chromium, didn't try with epiphany.
>>
>> So gnome-shell only crashes when you use a browser?
>
> Yes, up to now.

If the crash is fully reproducible, that's something to take into account.

>> I would try with new user and see what happens.
>>
> I didn't try that. What I tried was switch the theme back to default.

I would stick -at least for now- to Adwaita theme which seems to be the
upstream preferred one and also well supported.

> Fact is, it didn't happen again for one day and, before, it happened
> several times a day. I've been waiting for a crash, that didn't happen,
> to reply to your message.
> However, this doesn't explain why it happened with chromium too. Could
> be an upgrade that fixed it.

Yep, and gnome-shell crash error would be useful to debug this.

>>> Where in the logs or how can I get some information of what's
>>> happening?
>>
>> For this one, I'd look at "~/.xession-errors", as usual.
>>
> A lot of stuff there but the most interesting is: Window manager
> warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the
> pager needs to be fixed. Gtk-Message: Failed to load module
> "pk-gtk-module" (firefox-bin:3722): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
> default has no name (firefox-bin:3722): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for
> default has no directories

Those look like non-fatal errors. GTK+ can be very verbose but the above
entries do not seem pointing to a gnome-shell crash.

> The later 3 lines happen with most applications besides iceweasel:
> nautilus, gedit, ...
> Anyway, I guess this is the log for today's activity and doesn't cover
> the crashes.

Okay, you can grep that file (grep -i "gnome-shell $HOME/.xsession-
errors") to put the focus into the gnome-shell crash.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón