Re: posting

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:24:32 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 05:22:00PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> - MUAs. I would add another section about good e-mails clients to use
>> when dealing with mailing lists (this is my small "whitelist" input:
>> mutt, (al)pine, thunderbird/icedove, evolution, claws and in my
>> "blacklist" I will put all sort of commercial webmails (gmail, yahoo,
>> hotmail), the outlook family (from express to 2010) and windows
>> mail/live mail.
>
> I haven't seen many emails on mailing lists from Yahoo! or Hotmail,

I did see. And most of them are badly formatted (it seems there are some
versions of Yahoo! webmail where wrapping to 72 characters does not
happen and the body of the message goes in just one line. The same occurs
for some verions of Hotmail webmail.

> so I can't comment there, but the Gmail web interface adheres to the RFC
> standards, near as I can tell. I've not seen broken email threads as a
> result of using the Gmail web interface.

I don't know what is the level of adherance of Gmail's webmail to the
RFCs but I can tell you what *does* wrong and makes it not suitable for
its usage in mailing lists:

- Edititing the subject line breaks threads
- No "Reply-to-list" button (neither as an addon?)
- UTF-8 encoding problems that can make messages unreadeable

I have the corresponding URIs for all of these problems that are well-
known to Google but still unsolved.

> Also, the Outlook family also adheres to the RFCs (as well as some
> adendums), but it's not entirely functional on Debian, so I don't see
> the need to bring that one into the mix. Probably should only worry
> about mail clients that are shipped with Debian proper.

I don't think so.

I can be a Debian user *and* a Windows/MacOS/Solaris user and I can post
my questions about Debian from any of that environments (locally, from a
remote machine...). And when doing so I would like to know what e-mail
clients are good or bad for posting in a mailing list. Outlook for sure
it is not (at least the older versions, for the newer ones I can't tell).

Remember the wiki article puts the focus in "good posting" more than in
Debian.

> If you're concerned about other operating systems, then you should
> probably add Apple Mail and Opera Mail to the "whitelist".

Yes, why not, they can enter to the whitelist if they operate right ;-)

Ahh, I forget about smartphones! All of these devices (specially iPhones
and Blackberries) should go to the "blacklist" unless they can be
configured to avoid the top-posting style >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón