Re: posting

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:03:21 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> From:	lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> Date:	Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:01:40 +0200
>> Do you know of a good reference that teaches people how to post I could
>> point to in my signature?

I -for sure- must have missed Lee's message.

> At
> # Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:56:37 -0800 # Message-id:
> <171057104.81445.74650@cantor.invalid> I asked for feedback about the
> page but haven't seen a reply. The topic must be a low priority for most
> people.

And also this!

Okay, here you have my feedback (and thanks for caring about this).

Points *I do love* from that list:

- no html (...)
- Attribute quotes, and do so accurately.
- Keep the discussions on the list (...)

Things I would review from the wiki article:

- Keep the uppercase for the first word in all of the points. Now some of
the points start with uppercase and others with lowercase, this needs to
be normalized :-)

- I would add a section about Off-topic [OT] threads and the proper way
to manage them when they -inevitably or not- come up. I am, speaking for
myself, very tolerable regarding off-topics (whatever the nature of the
off-topic is) when the poster tags the thread correctly to avoid other
user's annoyance. Off-topics are something to avoid but I wouldn't bother
to reply to them or even to post something that could be of interested to
the community, provided it has been tagged as [OT].

- MUAs. I would add another section about good e-mails clients to use
when dealing with mailing lists (this is my small "whitelist" input:
mutt, (al)pine, thunderbird/icedove, evolution, claws and in my
"blacklist" I will put all sort of commercial webmails (gmail, yahoo,
hotmail), the outlook family (from express to 2010) and windows mail/live
mail.

- As for the "reply" function, the user has to keep in mind that this
mailing list does not make "address munging" (which I think is a correct
decision) and he/she needs to be careful when his/her MUA does not
provide the option to "reply to the list". The user can refer to the
above whitelist of MUAs which provide such function.

- Following messages. The user can track messages (sending/posting) by
many ways but I would recommend mainly two methods: 1/ subscribing to the
mailing list to receive all the posts as usual e-mails (avoid a "digest"
format if you are going to reply to the posts) 2/ using a newsreader by
means of a news server (e.g., gmane). The latter method does not require
subscription and alleviates the user the odyssey of having to deal with a
bunch of messages every day.

And I think that's all :-P

Greetings,

--