Re: GPT on BIOS system partitions scheme

Am Montag, 17. Oktober 2011 schrieb Arno Schuring:
> Virgo Pärna (virgo.parna@mail.ee on 2011-10-17 08:50 +0000):
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:16:02 +0200, Arno Schuring
> >
> > <aelschuring@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > yudi v (yudi.tux@gmail.com on 2011-10-16 15:20 +1000):
> > >
> > > This is not necessary. Menu X, D will allow you to change this to
> > > 1. The 2048 value is just wasteful (an overly safe default).
> > > Whether you care about losing that 2MB is your call...
> > >
> >     I'd say, that 8 sectors would be safer than 1. In case the hard
> >
> > drive is one with 4096 byte sectors that emulates 512 byte sectors.
>
> Certainly, you are correct :)
> As general advice, 8 sectors is better because of advanced format. But
> then you also have to account for modern SSDs, which have erase block
> sizes between 128 and 512kB (256 or 1024 sectors), and for partitioning
> hw-raid devices you need to know the stripe size of the underlying
> device. When taking that all into account, the MS default of 2048
> sectors is quite understandable.
>
> But the drive in question was 600GB (iirc). Too large for an SSD and
> too small for advanced format...

Not at all. Intel SSD 320 has a 600 GB variant.

And until you are sure that booting GRUB via GPT BIOS or EFI boot
partition actually works on your setup, I´d recommend to leave at least 32
KB of space between MBR and first partition (MBR gap). For the case booting
from a GPT partition - be it BIOS or EFI - does not work. As for my
ThinkPad T520 that I couldn´t convince to boot from GPT via BIOS or EFI.

I also left space for an EFI partition in case at some time I do get EFI
stuff to work on that machine. Also I do not like EFI that much currently.

I recommend 200 MB for /boot, in case you want to try out more than a few
different kernels, but if not, 100 MiB should be sufficient.

Ciao,