Re: Gnome 3 and VirtualBox

On 16/10/11 10:34, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 23:04:33 +0100, José Silva wrote:

On 15/10/11 19:31, José Silva wrote:
(...)

With Gnome 3, to start, I don't know how to switch to another
desktop if I am in VirtualBox fullscreen. Windows absorbs the
Windows key, of course, which is also the Gnome 3 hot key, and the
top left screen corner is occupied by VB. Does anyone know?

  >>  (...)

Got it!

For others with same problem, VirtualBox catches all keystrokes, even
system ones like windows key or Alt+Tab and passes it to the guest VM
unless you uncheck "Auto Capture Keyboard" on VB manager (GUI)
File/Preferences/Input tab.

That makes more sense ;-)

Obviously, if you do this, you no longer can, for example, use the
windows key for guest start menu or Alt+Tab to switch windows on guest
VM; you can't have it all.

Well, that option has been always available in VB, I thought it was not
working for you within GNOME3/gnome-shell.

Besides, you can choose a "master key" to gain the control over the
virtual machine guest or over the host, this is a documented feature:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#idp7665552

There should be no need to completely disable this, just configuring the
master key which allows you to alternate between host/guest to avoid
overlapping so you can give the focus to the proper application (gnome-
shell or vm) and then run the desired keycombo to change the workspace.

This is much better, thank you.

I knew it worked in windowed or seamless mode but I've always assumed it wouldn't work in fullscreen because, where would the mouse go if we are in fullscreen? I thought the master key would only be good with a following keystroke (like home to get VB menu or Del for Ctrl+Al+Del)

So, now it's very easy, if I'm on a fullscreen VM I just hit RightCtrl (my master VB key), make a pause and hit the windows key to get Gnome 3 Desktop manager. It doesn't work if I hit both keys in quick succession.

Thank you once again,
jss