Re: package management help

Stan Hoeppner wrote, on 10/15/11 13:16:
> On 10/15/2011 3:56 AM, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> I would try the following:
>>
>> - to find out what is installed
>>     aptitude search '~iapache'
>
> i   apache2-mpm-prefork
> i   apache2-utils
> i   apache2.2-bin
> i   apache2.2-common
> i   libapache2-mod-php5
>
>> - why it is installed
>>     aptitude why apache2-mpm-worker
>>   maybe this one is only recommended by another package
>
> ~$ aptitude why apache2-mpm-worker
> i   phpsysinfo Depends apache2 | httpd
> p   apache2    Depends apache2-mpm-worker (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4)

So, "apache2" is not installed ("p") as well as "apache2-mpm-worker".

> apache2-mpm-prefork (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4
> apache2-mpm-event (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4)
> apache2-mpm-itk (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4)
>
> ~$ aptitude why apache2
> i   phpsysinfo Depends apache2 | httpd
>
> phpsysinfo seems to have a false dependency--appears the package
> maintainer assumes the only httpd server on earth is apache2...

Searching exactly for the package "httpd" with

  aptitude search '~n^httpd$'

shows that it is a virtual ("v") package. To see which installed package
provides the dependency, command

  aptitude search '~i~P^httpd$'

>> - and what depends on this package
>>     aptitude search '~i~Dapache2-mpm-worker'
>
> Null result.

Yes, since this package is not installed. But try

  aptitude search '~i~Dapache2-mpm-prefork'

>> - finally, see what would happen, if it is removed:
>>     aptitude -s purge apache2-mpm-worker
>
> I'll wait until I get confirmation I can remove all of them, and the
> proper switches for doing so in one fell swoop. ;)  Along with
> instructions on how to remove this false dependency, or force my
> aptitude config to ignore it in the future.

The switch "-s" lets aptitude only simulate the command and shows what would
happen without the "-s". And, as already mentioned, the package
"apache2-mpm-prefork" is installed. So try

  aptitude -s purge apache2-mpm-prefork

in order to see what would be the consequences.

--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.