Re: How to get version information in common notation

Raf Czlonka <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> writes:

> You can remove most of the video drivers, leaving only the one(s)
> corresponding to your graphic card. The same goes with input drivers.

I'm still managing to confuse myself.

When I look at some of the drivers that nearly positive I do not need
with `aptitude why' It appears to be saying they are needed:

   aptitude why xserver-xorg-video-mach64
  i   task-desktop           Depends xserver-xorg-video-all
  ihA xserver-xorg-video-all Depends xserver-xorg-video-ati
  i A xserver-xorg-video-ati Depends xserver-xorg-video-mach64

Note that the output shows `Depends' rather than `Recommends', so I
guess its saying if I want to run with `task-desktop'  I need this
driver.  But do I really?