Re: How to get version information in common notation

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 08:50:16PM BST, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm still managing to confuse myself.
>
> When I look at some of the drivers that nearly positive I do not need
> with `aptitude why' It appears to be saying they are needed:
>
>    aptitude why xserver-xorg-video-mach64
>   i   task-desktop           Depends xserver-xorg-video-all
>   ihA xserver-xorg-video-all Depends xserver-xorg-video-ati
>   i A xserver-xorg-video-ati Depends xserver-xorg-video-mach64
>
> Note that the output shows `Depends' rather than `Recommends', so I
> guess its saying if I want to run with `task-desktop'  I need this
> driver.  But do I really?

Answering your previous question, there's no way of automating the process
of auto-discovery of graphic card, therefore if you'd like to run
a desktop system and install 'task-desktop' (itself not a real package
but a virtual one, a task which installs other packages) all available
drivers are being installed.
Solution: do not install task-desktop, only pick the packages which you
need, remove xserver-xorg-video-all and only leave the one(s) which
match your hardware.
If you have a fairly new machine with a large HDD, the above won't be an
issue as, apart from some services run at startup or during your X
session, the it'll only take some of your HDD space.
But if you're really bothered or free space is scarce...

--
Raf