Re: How to get version information in common notation

On 2011-10-12 21:50 +0200, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Raf Czlonka <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> writes:
>
>> You can remove most of the video drivers, leaving only the one(s)
>> corresponding to your graphic card. The same goes with input drivers.
>>

> I'm still managing to confuse myself.
>
> When I look at some of the drivers that nearly positive I do not need
> with `aptitude why' It appears to be saying they are needed:
>
>    aptitude why xserver-xorg-video-mach64
>   i   task-desktop           Depends xserver-xorg-video-all
>   ihA xserver-xorg-video-all Depends xserver-xorg-video-ati
>   i A xserver-xorg-video-ati Depends xserver-xorg-video-mach64
>
> Note that the output shows `Depends' rather than `Recommends', so I
> guess its saying if I want to run with `task-desktop'  I need this
> driver.

This is correct.

> But do I really?

No, it is entirely reasonable to just install the video driver for your
card, plus maybe the -vesa and -fbdev drivers as fallback.  But that is
not a viable solution for a metapackage that ensures a working X on
*all* machines.  People who want such fine-tuning should better select
individual packages instead of tasks.

Sven