XFCE--can't mount USB devices

I'm running XFCE 4.8 on Debian Testing, with everything up to date; I'm
using xdm as my display manager. Any attempt by a non-root user to mount
a USB device in Thunar fails with the message "Mount Failed: Failed to
mount "[device]" Not Authorized". I do have Thunar set to mount
removable media automatically.

This seems to have been a problem from the start of 4.8; there's quite a
bit of discussion of this for Arch Linux and Slackware, but I can't find
anything useful for Debian. It seems to be an issue with ConsoleKit, but
the solutions for Arch don't really apply for Debian as the setup is
different. There was a discussion of this in the Debian forum when 4.8
came out at http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63088&start=60
but there was no clean answer.

A related problem is that I am not able to restart or shut down using
the graphical tools; here's a recent discussion of this on the XFCE
forum from a Debian Testing user:
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6343 This also seems to depend on
a ConsoleKit permissions issue. I don't particularly care about this
myself, as it's easy enough to do this from the commandline; I'm
mentioning it only as a parallel.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. This does seriously affect the
usability of the system, and it's getting very frustrating; I'd think
that the ability of a regular user to hotplug removable media should be
an important thing to have working.

Thanks.