Re: XFCE--can't mount USB devices

On Wed 12 Oct 2011 at 05:53:10 -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm running XFCE 4.8 on Debian Testing, with everything up to date; I'm
> using xdm as my display manager. Any attempt by a non-root user to mount
> a USB device in Thunar fails with the message "Mount Failed: Failed to
> mount "[device]" Not Authorized". I do have Thunar set to mount
> removable media automatically.
>
> This seems to have been a problem from the start of 4.8; there's quite a
> bit of discussion of this for Arch Linux and Slackware, but I can't find
> anything useful for Debian. It seems to be an issue with ConsoleKit, but
> the solutions for Arch don't really apply for Debian as the setup is
> different. There was a discussion of this in the Debian forum when 4.8
> came out at http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63088&start=60
> but there was no clean answer.

The root cause is indeed consolekit. Have a try with this:

In /etc/pam.d/common-session insert the line

   session optional	pam_loginuid.co

just before

   session optional	pam_ck_connector.so nox11

Log out and log in again. Or reboot. This works on my machines (and
should solve your restart/shut down problem also) but there is a plan B
if needed.