Re: nvidia driver performance drop?

Hi Sven,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2011-10-11 13:25 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone else has run into performance issues on the
> nvidia driver?

Not too many people, since the relevant bug¹ has so far "only" 13
duplicates. ;-)

Heh.

> Does anyone know of a fix? I tried rolling back the nvidia version, but that
> ends up breaking xorg.

Get xserver 1.10 from snapshot.debian.org, try a patch against 1.11.1
from the nvidia forum², or use nouveau (you probably want to install the
libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package in the latter case).

I didn't have a lot of luck with nouveau the last time I tried it, a year ago. I couldn't get compiz+kde4 (my preferred work enviornment) running on it. Admittedly, that was a year ago, but I haven't encountered any problems until now with the nvidia driver.

I tried rolling back on the desktop (but didn't pin it), and that led to all sorts of problems with apticron.

I'll play around with it and see what happens.

--b

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642757
² http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2488518&postcount=15