nvidia driver performance drop?

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into performance issues on the nvidia driver? I have two boxes, a desktop with a GeForce 8600 GT running sid and a Dell Latitude E6500 with a Quadro NVS 160M running wheezy. Before, I was running drivers 280.13 from the repos. Over the past couple of weeks, both sid and wheezy were "upgraded" to 280.13.really.275.28-1.

Since that point, my performance has taken a turn for the worse. video is choppy, there is a noticeable delay on moving windows and if I run a video in a window, which worked fine before, mplayer gives me

           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Does anyone know of a fix? I tried rolling back the nvidia version, but that ends up breaking xorg.

Thanks for any advice,
--b