Re: Permission Problem with xsane - more

On 2011-10-06, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan's post has broken the thread - but in a previous post I mentioned
> that "The problem seems to be that *both* epson and epson2 backends are
> being called"
>
><snipped>
>>> $ grep epson /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
>> epson
>> epson2
>
> This is where epson *and* epson2 are *both* being called.
> Comment one of them out.
> The default on Squeeze is for *only* the epson2 backend to be active.
>
> What was the result of trying the suggested scanimage commands? (in the
> post you didn't respond to)
>
> Cheers

Based on the dates on /etc/sane.d/epson*.conf, he would be running
Lenny.  On Lenny, both epson and epson2 were uncommented in dll.conf .
(By the way, I was only able to get this scanner working properly on
Lenny by using the epkowa back end "/usr/bin/xsane -c epkowa:libusb").

Since it runs as root and his permissions look ok, I would suggest
creating a new user:
# adduser tester
# adduser tester scanner
Then logging in as tester and trying.