Re: Squeeze: cannot connect to Netgear 150N DGN1000B

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:59:15 +0200, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:

> my DSL modem died today after 10 years of service, so I bought a Netgear
> 150N DGN1000B.  I cannot connect to it via wireless from my netbook
> running Squeeze (Linksys WRT45GL works, but it doesn't have a DSL
> modem).
>
> I think the router is working, since I can connect to it very quickly
> with a Mac mini and an iPod Touch.  I tried with both
> network-manager-gnome and wicd, without any success.

"Without any success" is too vague :-)

If your DSL device is already configured and properly setup to deal with
your IP network and you know the required data (encryption type and
password) then network manager should detect the AP and you can then
select it to establish a connection with it.

What happens then? Tell us all the steps you follow and what messages you
are getting.

> I didn't see any unusual messages in the netbook logs, except
> "composite sync not supported".  After a few attempts to connect, I
> started to get kernel oopses due a NULL pointer dereference in the
> kernel and the machine wouldn't shut down properly after that.  That's
> a vanilla Squeeze install, no non-free packages, not even proprietary
> kernel drivers (EeePC 1005PE).

(...)

N-M logs go under "/var/log/syslog", you can monitor that file with "tail
-f /var/log/syslog" and see what happens.

> P.S.  Please leave me in the Cc line when replying.

Sorry, I can't :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón