Re: Permission Problem with xsane - more

On 02/10/11 23:30, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 02:49:04PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>>>
>>> As suggested by responders I have confirmed that I have always been a
>>> member of the scanner group and I have modified
>>> /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules.  This had no effect.

Nothing 'should' need modifying there. Suggest you revert to the original.

>>> To pinpoint the problem I ran strace -f -e trace=open,read xsane
>>> 2>/tmp/output.  Here is the tail of /tmp/output
>>>

>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> Any suggestions of how better to pinpoint the cause of the problem?

>> Tell us your scanner model? :-)
>>
> Epson Perfection 2400 Photo

Thanks.
Your model is listed as supported by sane without mention of issues.
Search results show few complaints...

Three support choices:-
; run with sane - what's your DE, do you have libsane-extras installed?
does lsusb detect it (or are you using the SCSII connector)?
(0x04b8:0x011b)
what front-end are you trying to use?

; use the (closed source) Epson recommended drivers for that device
(ImageScan) this should include the Kowa front-end for negative scanning:-
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

; use commercial product VuScan:-
http://www.hamrick.com/ (free trial available)

>> Some scanners require membership of the lp group (eg. some HPs)

That scanner doesn't require lp group membership.

I gave my Epson (Perfection 1240) scanners away and replaced with
different brands so my memory is dim, but I'm certain that support under
Lenny and Sarge was simpler than Agfa Snapscans.
NOTE: the buttons on the scanner don't work by default under sane - but
it is possible to get them working.

Cheers