Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On 10/05/2011 05:58 AM, Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:23:47 +0100
Darac Marjal<mailinglist@darac.org.uk>  wrote:

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 03:25:54PM -0400, Doug wrote:
On 10/04/2011 07:46 AM, Tom Furie wrote:
On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 03:55:45PM -0400, Doug wrote:

The US pint is 16 ounces, and the US quart and gallon are based on
that. 32 oz. = 1 qt; 4 qts. = 1 gal.
That's why the British gallon is 5 US quarts, or 4 British quarts.
The ounce is the same size, or almost. (As wiki says, research is
needed.) I'm not really sure of the history, but I *think* that all
pints were once 16 ounces, thus the expression, "A pint's a pound,
the world around."  Therefore, it would seem that the US, being the
colony, kept on using the old measure, while the mother country
modified it. (Since the Brits like their "pint" of ale, it is
logical that they would take steps to get more ounces in their
pint!)
The legend I heard was that pints, gallons etc. got redefined due to
the transatlantic trade in various spirits. The legend goes that a
ship would be loaded with a certain number of, say, gallons of rum.
Over the several weeks at sea, some of the cargo would... go missing
(i.e. get consumed by the sailors). Upon arrival at the destination,
however, the same number of gallons of rum would be unloaded from the
ship. They were, however, smaller gallons. :)

Now we are getting into the urban legend end of the conversation. Rum
was never shipped in gallons, it was shipped as per number of tuns,
butts, hogsheads, kegs and/or kilderkins.
Rum was definitely drunk by the sailors, though, in the form of 'grog',
which was a watered down rum and strictly rationed. Open slather
wouldn't have been risked as it was mutiny and/or cast-up-on-the-rocks
territory.
Regards,

Weaver.

Well, a new word for me:

kilderkin ~ noun    very rare
 1. an obsolete British unit of capacity equal to 18 Imperial gallons

Thanks to Artha, which is billed as a Thesaurus, but is a really useful
dictionary as well.  It's in the pclos repos, don't know about other
distros.

--doug

--doug