Re: [OT] British vs. American English

On 10/02/2011 11:34 AM, Lisi wrote:

/snip/
But British English uses both, which, as a child who attended French, American and British schools in turn, I found very confusing and only finally sorted out recently. Logic works however: i.e. the length came over form France, but a good deal more recently than 1066, and is spelt metre, but the use of electric power came over from the States, so a machine for measuring/keeping track of electricity is called a meter. Lisi

In the US, nobody would ever spell anything -re if it's pronounced -er, so the measuring stick is 1 meter long here. Hams operate on the 160 meter band, the 80 meter band, etc. The liquid measure is liter, used here only in medical labs and liquor stores, altho some bottled products have both ounces and liters, so as to placate the Canadians, who gave up ounces and quarts, etc., some years ago. (Some year, no doubt after I'm dead, "altho" will be acceptable.)

--doug