Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On 10/04/2011 07:46 AM, Tom Furie wrote:
On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 03:55:45PM -0400, Doug wrote:

The liquid measure is liter, used here only in medical labs and liquor
stores, altho some bottled products have both ounces and liters, so as
to placate the Canadians, who gave up ounces and quarts, etc., some
years ago.  (Some year, no doubt after I'm dead, "altho" will be
acceptable.)
Since you mention ounces, quarts, etc. Am I right in thinking that in
the US a pint is 16fl.oz? Here, in Britain, a pint is 20fl.oz. Is your
pint smaller, or your fl.oz larger? Or do you have different measures of
the same name depending on the fluid being measured?

Cheers,
Tom

The US pint is 16 ounces, and the US quart and gallon are based on that.
32 oz. = 1 qt; 4 qts. = 1 gal.
That's why the British gallon is 5 US quarts, or 4 British quarts.
The ounce is the same size, or almost. (As wiki says, research is needed.)
I'm not really sure of the history, but I *think* that all pints
were once 16 ounces, thus the expression, "A pint's a pound, the world
around."  Therefore, it would seem that the US, being the colony,
kept on using the old measure, while the mother country modified it.
(Since the Brits like their "pint" of ale, it is logical that they
would take steps to get more ounces in their pint!)

The fluid ounce is not exactly 1 avoirdupois ounce, but it must be
close, because of that saying.  Also, one US gallon of water weighs
just about 8 pounds.

Note that a fluid ounce could not universally equal one ounce weight,
since different fluids with different densities weigh differently
at the same volume.  One gallon of gasoline is about 6 pounds.

--doug