Re: Running Password-gorilla on Debian SID after upgraded Debian from Squeeze

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >> The Password Gorilla requires the "pwsafe" package. This seems to be an
> >> installation problem, as the pwsafe package ought to be part of the
> >> Password Gorilla distribution.
> and then I run password-gorilla but still get message abowe mentioned.

You confused me because you said "The Password Gorilla requires the
"pwsafe" package." and I simply took you at your word.  But the
package installs okay.  There is no pwsafe package in Debian and the
Debian password-gorilla package does not require one.

I installed password-gorilla and tried it and it runs okay for me.  I
traced through the program startup sequence as it it all scripts.  The
/usr/bin/password-gorilla is a shell script that simply calls the
/usr/share/password-gorilla/gorilla.tcl script which turns around and
calls itself as a tclsh script which then loads up several tcl
libraries.

Then I see this section of code:

  if {[catch {package require pwsafe} oops]} {
    wm withdraw .
    tk_messageBox -type ok -icon error -default ok \
      -title "Need PWSafe" \
      -message "The Password Gorilla requires the \"pwsafe\" package.\
      This seems to be an installation problem, as the pwsafe package\
      ought to be part of the Password Gorilla distribution."
      exit
  }

Now more becomes clear.  Not everything but more.  You were not saying
that you had seen that installing password-gorilla failed to install
because it required a pwsafe package.  You meant to say that when you
ran password-gorrilla that it produced that message saying the above
text.  That is an important different!  The message is about a tcl
library that is included with password-gorrilla that it was unable to
load.  The files are in the /usr/share/password-gorilla/pwsafe
directory.

So with this information the question is why isn't the tclsh script
able to load those files?  In an earlier part of the script it sets a
variable gorillaDir to be the /usr/share/password-gorilla directory.
It then uses that to set the tcl library load path before trying to
load tcl libraries.  It then loads a number of tcl libraries.  The
pwsafe is after already having loaded several others but apparently is
the first one that fails to load.  When it fails to load the tcl
script writes out that message that you are seeing.

It has been a long time since I have done any programming in tcl and
so I am missing some of the fine points that may be leading to trouble
for you.  It works for me just fine therefore there must be something
about your environment.

Look for any environment variable that may affect it.  Likely
candidates would contain TCL in their name.  This command might
produce some clues.

  $ env | grep TCL

Try running with a clean environment.  The 'env -i' command can do
this by starting off a command with a clean environment.

  $ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY password-gorilla

If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
with an environment variable.  Find it and fix it and you won't need
the environment initialization cleaning anymore.

If none of the above work then it would be reasonable to file a bug
report using reportbug.

  $ reportbug password-gorilla

That would get the package maintainer involved.  But by that point
there may be something that could be improved in the package.

Bob