Re: Problem with /tmp full due to default mounting on tmpfs in laptop with big RAM

wzab wrote:
> Investigating it, I've found, that the /tmp is now mounted (in the
> /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh script) by default as tmpfs with capacity
> of 20% of RAM, which was way too small for those tools, which place
> big temporary files in /tmp.

Interesting.  Thank you for pointing this out.  I was unaware of the
change as well.  However I had not yet been hit by it.  The default
seems to have changed in Sid/Wheezy.  The Squeeze default is still the
traditional one and does not use tmpfs for /tmp.  As I see things by
inspection only a new install of Wheezy will see this behavior.

I think this is a significant enough change that it warrants a
NEWS.Debian item.

I do remember seeing a lot of tmpfs discussion in the debian-devel
mailing list.  I am sure that a search there would reveal much
rationale behind this change.

> As I didn't need to reinstall any of my Debian systems for quite a
> long time, I don't know when this behavior has changed.

But if you have not reinstalled then this behavior should not have
changed for you.  Up through Squeeze there is no tmpfs for /tmp.  Only
in Sid/Wheezy do I see that the default has changed.

The package default file is:

  /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS

In the initscripts.postinst script:

  if [ ! -f /etc/default/rcS ]
  then
  	cp -p /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS /etc/default/rcS
  fi

That /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS is only used if there isn't
already a /etc/default/rcS file in place.  That will be true only
during initial system installation time.  A system that is upgrading
from a previous version will already have that file and it won't be
modified.  Updates to it would be the responsibility of the local
admin to perform.  It shouldn't happen automatically.

> Anyway, finding of the cause and cure (which was simply setting of
> "RAMTMP" to "no" in the /etc/default/rcS ) consumed quite a long
> time...

Thank you again for mentioning this.  It would have affected me in the
upcoming Wheezy release.  Now that I am warned about it I can look
for it and deal with it.

Bob