Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On 2 October 2011 20:02, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> When I was a child in the US, my mother, who was descended from the
> folks who landed here in the 1700s, insisted on having Sunday
> dinner at about 1PM.  I never knew anyone else who did that, but
> I never knew anyone else who was descended from the colonists.
> (One of my ancestors almost became the second Vice-President.)

That would probably be a tradition based upon UK habit of the time. It
would follow the normal practice of morning church service followed by
a full family meal so those who had miles to walk home could do so in
daylight. Here in Devon it can still take a time to get to church even
in the age of mechanised transport!

BTW what is/was the second vice?

Terence