accessing fonts for emacs (Inconsolata)

I was convinced by arguments seen thru google, that I should install
`inconsolata' fonts... did so but now emacs knows nothing about it.

Googling on that subject has turned up a number of hits but so far it
all seems somewhat dated.  Discussing the use of xorg.conf to point to
fonts and such.

Can anyone steer me toward more recent information on how to allow
emacs to access the true type fonts.

I have both xft and xftt running.  Anyone know the server address for
xftt?

xlsfonts does not see inconsolata either.

So far all I've done regarding installing the fonts is running
`aptitude install ttf-inconsolata',  maybe there is more I am supposed
to do?

Hopefully there is somewhere, current directions or tips.