Re: New SATA drive installation question (SOLVED)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:48:16 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> On 09/25/11 06:36, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:34:12 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> No new modern hard disk will come partitioned, they come low-level
>> formatted from factory :-)
>
> That shows how long it's been since I installed a new drive.  The last
> time that I did so, it was the current drive in this box -- a 40GB WD
> drive.  It came with a single FAT partition, IIRC.

I've never had an internal hard disk which came preformatted from factory
but in the past, every manufacturer had its own "mania" and tried to make
installations as smooth as possible for the user. I can't tell for WD,
though, I used to buy IBM (for SCSI) and Seagate (IDE/SATA/SCSI).

> Do they even make 40GB drives anymore?

You can still find small sized hard disks, mostly IDE, but I dunno if
companies are actively manufactiring them. I guess yes, because aside the
computers market, there are industries where IDE units are still used
(CCTV, embedded devices for industry, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón