Re: What to do with a DVD-RW +VR disk? UDF file system

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:24:11 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:19:49 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > Playback failure:
> > DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd". Your input can't be
> > opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the
> > log for details.
> >
> > Now there appears to be no /dev/dvd, as tetified by ls in another
> > shell window:
> >
> > hendrik@notlookedfor:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd
> > ls: cannot access /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
> > hendrik@notlookedfor:~$
> >
> > So the first step seems to be to find out why there's no /dev/dvd.
>
> That's weird...
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 sep 25 11:13 /dev/dvd -> sr0
>
> Does the system detect the insertion of the DVD? I mean, can you see
> an icon on the desktop or something under "/media/*"?
>
> > But I did find a device /dev/video0.
>
> Hum... this is usually for webcams or video cameras, not DVDs.
>
> What's the out put of "ls -la /dev/video0" and "dmesg|grep -i dvd"?
>
> (...)
>
> > Not sure where to go next.  An I missing device drivers?  Do I need
> > a kernel module for the UDF file system?  Some other packages?
>
> I think the problem could be at DVD media detection, it seems not to
> be recognized by the system.

Run lshw as root also.
I get this:

*-cdrom
                product: CD/DVDW SH-W162Z
                vendor: TSSTcorp
                physical id: 0.0.0
                bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/cdrw
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/dvdrw
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                version: TS00
                capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
                configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

 If your system picks it up, from there it has to be configuration.
I've got the same problem. I've never had movies on a debian system,
but then again, I've never spent enough time to figure out why.

First steps so far, for me, was to go here:

http://debian-multimedia.org/

put the right entry into /etc/apt/sources.list
update, download the key, then do a 'safe-upgrade' with aptitude.

I think the site is going to be my main resource because the forums
for SMplayer and Xine are woeful.
In a past experience, I never got an answer from the xine mail list
and there were maybe three messages on it over a one month period and
I posted a question on the SMplayer forum a week ago and still no
answer there.

Anything I pick up I'll post as I go.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"