Re: What to do with a DVD-RW +VR disk? UDF file system

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:19:49 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

(...)

> Playback failure:
> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd". Your input can't be opened:
> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for
> details.
>
> Now there appears to be no /dev/dvd, as tetified by ls in another shell
> window:
>
> hendrik@notlookedfor:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd
> ls: cannot access /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
> hendrik@notlookedfor:~$
>
> So the first step seems to be to find out why there's no /dev/dvd.

That's weird...

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 sep 25 11:13 /dev/dvd -> sr0

Does the system detect the insertion of the DVD? I mean, can you see an
icon on the desktop or something under "/media/*"?

> But I did find a device /dev/video0.

Hum... this is usually for webcams or video cameras, not DVDs.

What's the out put of "ls -la /dev/video0" and "dmesg|grep -i dvd"?

(...)

> Not sure where to go next.  An I missing device drivers?  Do I need a
> kernel module for the UDF file system?  Some other packages?

I think the problem could be at DVD media detection, it seems not to be
recognized by the system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón