Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:18:53 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 9/25/2011 9:30 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Fair enough, but I wonder "what" to include in the recipe. If I put too
>> much salt or leave the oven for many hours at the maximun temperature
>> I'll get a "pastiche" nobody will be able to eat...
>
> Have you used make-menuconfig?

Nope. I first used the current ".config" located at "/boot", that way I
could not fail.

> Simply go through all the hardware and deselect anything that's not
> inside that netbook.  Of all the network interface cards you'll only
> need one (or two depending on whether that netbook has an RJ45 port in
> addition to the wireless NIC).  You'll only need one of the dozens of
> IDE/SATA drivers.  You won't need any of the SCSI/RAID or legacy block
> drivers, though you will need SCSI disk and SCSI CDROM, as libata needs
> those, as Stephen and I recently discussed.

That's easy to say but hard to get and so much for a trial/error test.

> Do an lspci and write down all the hardware you have in there.  The
> strip out all the drivers you don't have.  If you're unsure, ask.

I'm using Sven's advice (in join with Stephen's one), I find it a very
good approach.

> And be patient with yourself.  Nearly everyone who embarks on the "roll
> your own" journey trips a few times along the way, and has a steep
> learning curve in the beginning.

Over the years, I've never had the need to compile a kernel and this is
my 4 kernel compilation in one month... but now I'm making these tests
"just for fun" because all these compilations were aimed to debug the
staging wifi drivers but the latest kernel (3.1-rc7, which I tried
yesterday) neither worked.

>> So I'm afraid I'll wait for your super-customized ".config" file to use
>> it in my netbook, feel free to send it to my inbox when it's ready>:-)
>
> Don't hold your breath. :)

Ha! I knew it :-)

Greetings,

--