Reducing kernel compilation time

Hello,

I had to compile the latest upstream kernel sources to make some
debugging with my wifi drivers (from staging) and discovered that
compilation took ~5 hours.

That's much for testing purposes.

Compilation takes place in a netbook governed by Intel's Atom N455 with 2
GiB of RAM and I would like to reduce the compilation time.

I'm using the same ".config" file I have for the current Debian stock
kernel (to avoid missing some modules I may need) and just added
"CONFIG_MATOM=y" but it takes almost the same time.

I don't need nothing special, just to be able to boot the system, test
the staging drivers and then remove/compile a new kernel again so wasting
the less time in the process would be great :-)

Any trick?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón